Amsterdam - Bruges, MS Fluvius
From Holland to Belgium by bike & boat
Individual arrival in Amsterdam. Embarkation from 13:00. Around 14:00 o'clock it is time to cast off and we go by ship to Vianen, a small fortress town on the river Lek. Within the canals and walls from the 14th century, the layout of the town has been preserved. After handing over the bikes, you have the opportunity for a short bike ride in the area (5 -15 km).
After breakfast you will cycle a beautiful route to Schoonhoven – nicknamed Zilverstad (Silver City) – a city that has been renowned for its talented silver smiths since the 17th Century. As you continue to cycle along the Lek River you will pass through the Alblasserwaard region to Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 large windmills – one of which you can visit. They have a UNESCO cultural heritage listing. From nearby Alblasserdam you will take the “Waterbus” (not included, costs approx.€ 4 per person), a fast ferry, that will take and your bike you in approx. 10 minutes to Dordrecht, one of the oldest towns in Holland. The historical centre is impressively located between two powerful rivers.
During breakfast the ship sails to Tholen.You cycle through a forest area, “the Wouwse Plantage“, towards the south to the impressive Kreekrak lock. Then you will sail to Antwerp, which is not only known as diamond city, but also as native city of painter Rubens. You will find some of his paintings in the “Onze Lieve Vrouwe (our lady) Cathedral”.
Your bike tour today takes you along the Scheldt, a picturesque tidal river. Enjoy the beautiful river landscapes. Your destination for the day is Dendermonde. Worth seeing: The beguinage with the beautiful local history museum.
Don't miss a coffee break on the beautiful Grote Markt.
Today you cycle comfortably along the Scheldt to Ghent, a university town with a rich past. The city was founded in Roman times at the point where the Leie and Scheldt rivers meet. The favorable location brought great prosperity for many years, which reached its peak at the end of the 13th and beginning of the 14th century. Many old patrician houses have been preserved in the city center. In the “Lakenhal” (Cloth Hall, 1425) the cloth merchants met and conducted their business. The most important church is St. Baaf's Cathedral, which was built in different architectural styles over the centuries. The cathedral houses a number of masterpieces of medieval painting, the best known of which is probably Jan van Eyck's The Adoration of the Lamb of God.
Today your bike tour takes you through the pleasantly flat countryside of West Flanders around Bruges, the beautiful city also known as the "Venice of the North". The old town of Bruges is exceptionally well preserved. The rest of the afternoon is free to explore the many sights of Bruges. There's plenty to do in Bruges. Visit one of the many museums or simply relax and enjoy the atmosphere of this unique and unforgettably beautiful city in one of the nice cafés. Tonight's dinner is not included in the price. Take the opportunity and taste the famous Belgian cuisine in one of the great restaurants. The crew will be happy to provide you with restaurant tips.
The last bike tour today leads along a quiet, poplar-lined canal through an attractive polder landscape with small farms to the North Sea coast. An approx. 12 km long, fine sandy beach and numerous cafés offer variety at lunchtime. Then return to Bruges.
End of your tour: Disembarkation after breakfast until 9:30 a. m.
Holland and Belgium are flat and the quality of the cycle paths is excellent - this trip is therefore well suited for cyclists who have a basic level of fitness.
| Season 1 |
16.04.2023 | 24.09.2023 |
| Season 2 |
23.04.2023 - 17.09.2023
|Bike & Boat, MS Fluvius, Amsterdam-Bruges- upper deck, 8 days, NL-SHSAF-08G-O|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge cabin with double bed||200.00||200.00|
|Bike & Boat, MS Fluvius, Amsterdam-Bruges - main deck, 8 days, NL-SHSAF-08G-H|
|Base price|| |
|Discount 2-bed-cabin small||-50.00||-50.00|
|Surcharge 2-bed-cabin single use||50%||50%|
- 7 nights tour and accommodation on board of MS Fluvius in the booked category
- Program according to the routing
- Welcome drink
- Full board (7 x breakfast, 6 x picnic lunch during bike tours, 6 x coffee and tea in the afternoon till 4 PM, 6 x 3 course dinner)
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Use of linen and towels
- Daily briefing on the respective bike tours
- GPS tracks
- All charges for harbours, bridges and locks
- Maps and route description for daily bike tours (deposited on board, 1 x per cabin)
Services not included:
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Central railway station Amsterdam near landing stage.
- For example: Parking Oosterdok www.parkingcentrumoosterdok.nl/english, economy fare approx. € 20.-/24 h. No reservation possible.
- Return transfer by train from Bruges to Amsterdam approx. € 40,- per person.
- Participants: At least 24 people up to 21 days before departure
- We reserve the right to make changes to the timetable and program. If, for example, a route cannot be navigated due to low or high water or bad weather, the captain reserves the right to change the route for your safety (this is not a free reason for cancellation). The same applies to lock and/or bridge repairs ordered by the authorities and not announced in advance.
- Please bear in mind that your river boat is your "holiday hotel" but also work equipment that moves with engine power and has to be operated constantly, even at night (sometimes with locks and bridges). We recommend that guests who are particularly sensitive to noise bring earplugs. The lock passages are associated with disruptions and unfortunately cannot be changed.
- Travel documents: EU nationals require a valid identity card or passport for this trip.
- Dietary food (e.g. lactose-free and gluten-free food) possible on request and at extra charge. Must be ordered at least 14 days before departure. Please bring special diet products with you if necessary.
- Bringing your own bike: Due to the limited space available on the sun deck, bringing your own bike is only possible on request and only to a limited extent.
This tour has 1 more variation
With MS Fluvius through the most beautiful cities of Holland and Flanders. You can expect a cosy, family atmosphere, good facilities and a friendly ship crew who will lovingly look after you. Look forward to adventurous bike tours, international guests and a beautiful ship.