Arrival in Pisa
In the evening welcome briefing and bike fitting. We recommend an initial visit of the magnificent old part of town that day.
From the square Piazza dei Miracoli, home of the ‚leaning tower’, you cycle on lovely paths towards lake Massaciuccoli. Here, you can enjoy the amazing views from a panorama road onto the lake and the Tyrrhenian Sea. Past countless olive groves until the river Serchio and continue along its cycle path to the centre of Lucca. You will not only enjoy the historic old part of town but also a circular cycle ride on top of the city wall.
Note several Baroque villas situated directly along the cycle route to Montecarlo. Located on top of a hill, this village is well-known for its excellent white wine – there is only a limited number of places in Tuscany for this grape to grow in such outstanding quality. Sampling a glass in one of the charming Enotecas is a must. Finally, you cycle through the Valdinievole valley where you will reach the famous spa resort of Montecatini.
Cycle through olive groves on small paths from Montecatini to Vinci, Leonardo’s birthplace. Most impressive is the da Vinci museum capturing the genius of all his inventions. To get back to your accommodation, you cycle past rolling hills across the pretty landscape of Montalbano. A ride on the funicular to Montecatini Alto could be the crowning glory of this day.
Soon after just a few kilometres follows the biggest and most challenging ascent this week. As a reward afterwards, you get a short break in the small Medieal village of Montevettolini as well as fantastic views on to the Arno valley during the rest of the tour. Then onwards to Pistoia, which is not so well-known by tourists and called ‚Little Florence’. With its charming squares and impressive churches one is indeed reminded of the neighbouring town Florence.
Today’s tour takes you through the shallow alluvial land between the rivers Arno and Ombrone. This fertile plain is the basis for the amazing plant variety with its especially well-known garden centres. In Poggio a Caiano, directly on your route you find one of the famous Medici villas. Onwards past cypressus alamedas to the Arno riverbanks and finally along the cycle path all the way to the Ponte Vecchio bridge in Florence.
Departure or extension
Daily short and slow-paced tours leave plenty of time to explore the cities. Overall easy terrain with only one longer ascent each day. You cycle on lovely side roads and occasionally also on dirt tracks. Only near the bigger cities, moderate traffic is unfortunately unavoidable.
Category: 4****hotels, partly with pool
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German;English)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German; English - route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Pisa on request, this costs EUR 49 per person incl. your bike, to be paid for at the time, reservation is necessary
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Pisa train station
- Pisa and Florence airport
- Public hotel garage costs approx. EUR 15 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible/necessary or free car parking at the hotel
- Good train connections from Florence to Pisa