It is recommended to arrive early. This metropolis on the Danube has plenty to offer and it is worth to stay there for a longer time. Enjoy a cup of coffee and the typical Vienna cake „Sachertorte“ in one of the numerous coffee houses or treat yourself to a roundtrip with the horse-drawn cab „Fiaker“.
The first distance of your bike trip guides you through the national park Donau-Auen. There you will get to know the diversity of the flora and fauna as well as the manifold types of landscape. You pass the castle Orth and the village Eckertsau and reach Bad Deutsch Altenburg.
From Bad Deutsch Altenburg/Hainburg you can make an excursion on the Roman bike trail (Römerweg) to Carnuntum. The archaeological park is regarded as one of the most significant archaeological sites in Austria. After Hainburg you reach the border to Slovakia and it´s capital city Bratislava that is your next overnight stay. The shorter distance today allows plenty of time to visit the old part of this charming city.
You cycle a short distance in Slovak territory before you pass the Hungarian border in Rajká. Within the first few kilometers of your cycle trip in Hungary you will discover charming villages. The complete section is influenced by agriculture. Your route guides you through the so-called Szigetköz (a small Rye Island). This is characterized by numberless side arms of the Danube. After arrival in Mosonmagyaróvár, which is also called „City of 17 bridges“, your today´s cycle tour ends. We recommend a short walking tour in this charming city, before you take the train to Györ. The district capital offers many sights and a breathtaking
Soon you reach the Hungarian Böny. From there a route version guides you to Bábolna, a well cultivated town with a beautiful inner city. The local National Stud is known far beyond its borders. Racehorses are bred in the splendid inner courtyard. The last part of the route takes you back to the Danube. Then you reach the divided town Komárom/Komárno. At night you can relax in the spa.
Today´s route runs near riverbanks in the flat Danube valley. In the course of this you pass different villages and while cycling you can view the vineyards in the background. The sporty bikers can choose a route over Tata but there are some increases. This requires a basic level of fitness. Those interested in history should plan time for the Roman castle Kelemantia which is on the way. However, an absolute highlight today is Esztergom (also known as „Hungarian Rome“): It´s basilica is the largest church of the country. Take time for a comprehensive visit, before you will board a riverboat, which takes you to your destination Visegrád. Amazing views into the beautiful landscape of the so-called “Donauknie” will impress you.
The Royal Palace and the castle of Visegrád will delight you and the open air museum as well as the baroque old town of Szentendre invites you to stay. The first part of today will guide you again through the “Donauknie”, probably the most attractive section of the Danube bike trail at all. Soon you will arrive in Budapest, where you can review all impressions of this wonderful bike trip during a walk through the city.
In the Hungarian capital city there are many things to discover. If you are interested in we would be pleased to book some extra nights for you. Our transfer from Budapest to Vienna is very comfortable (this can be arranged at additional charge).
You cycle on bike trails, ways alongside a dam and partly on relatively quiet side roads. Busy roads are of short-term duration. Only for 3 short distances you cycle on unmade paths otherwise you will find asphalted roads. On the whole the route is signed very well with a few exceptions in the Slovakian part. Altogether the tour is relatively easy with slightly increases in some sections.
Category A: Accommodation in well selected hotels ****
Category B: Accommodation in chosen guest houses, hotels, and inns ***
- Overnight stays in chosen category
- Breakfast (buffet style)
- If half board: 5 x 3-course dinner (in Vienna and Budapest only B&B)
- Luggage transport from hotel to hotel
- 7-day Service Hotline
- Well-planned route guidance
- Detailed travel documents
- Personal welcome meeting and bike fitting
- Boat ticket from Esztergom to Visegrád incl. transfer of bikes (not possible in April, September, and October; boat does not run on Mondays, too - a train ticket is included instead)
- Rental bike insurance
- GPS Tracks on request available
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Arrival by car or train to Vienna. Next airports: Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest.
- There are free parking places in public streets very close to your start hotel. Public garages are available with a fee of 3 €/day up to 12 €/day. A hotel garage is possible at a rate of 22 €/day. You will receive detailed information with your travel documents.
- Transfer from Budapest to Vienna by bus: bookable each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (in season 1 and 2), and daily in season 3, departure at approx. 15h30; pick-up service directly at the hotel, duration approx. 3.5 hours, price 55 € per person including transfer of own bikes, reservation required; subject to availability at time of application.
- alternatively there are excellent rail connections available (without changing the train, several times daily).
- Special transfers are possible with at least 4 participants upon request.
Where visitor´s tax is due, it is not included in the tour price.