It is recommended to arrive early. This metropolis on the Danube has plenty to offer and it is worth to stay there for a longer time. Enjoy a cup of coffee and the typical Vienna cake „Sachertorte“ in one of the numerous coffee houses or treat yourself to a roundtrip with the horse-drawn cab „Fiaker“.
The first distance of your bike trip guides you through the national park Donau-Auen. There you will get to know the diversity of the flora and fauna as well as the manifold types of landscape. You pass the castle Orth and the village Eckertsau and reach Bad Deutsch Altenburg.
From Bad Deutsch Altenburg/Hainburg you can make an excursion on the Roman bike trail (Römerweg) to Carnuntum. The archaeological park is regarded as one of the most significant archaeological sites in Austria. After Hainburg you reach the border to Slovakia and it´s capital city Bratislava that is your next overnight stay. The shorter distance today allows plenty of time to visit the old part of this charming city.
You cycle a short distance in Slovak territory before you pass the Hungarian border in Rajká. Within the first few kilometers of your cycle trip in Hungary you will discover charming villages. The complete section is influenced by agriculture. Your route guides you through the so-called Szigetköz (a small Rye Island). This is characterized by numberless side arms of the Danube. Today´s destination is Mosonmagyaróvár which is also called „City of 17 bridges“.
Also today you cycle through the nature paradise of the small Rye Island. On your way you pass Hédervár, which is perfectly suitable for lunch break. The castle is situated in the middle of a protected park. You should schedule a plenty of time for visiting Györ. The district capital offers many sights and a breathtaking historic center.
Soon you reach the Hungarian Böny. From there a route version guides you to Bábolna, a well cultivated town with a beautiful inner city. The local National Stud is known far beyond its borders. Racehorses are bred in the splendid inner courtyard. The last part of the route takes you back to the Danube. Then you reach the divided town Komárom/Komárno. At night you can relax in the local spa.
Today´s route runs near riverbanks in the flat Danube valley. In the course of this you pass different villages and while cycling you can view the vineyards in the background. The sporty bikers can choose a route over Tata but there are some increases. This requires a basic level of fitness. Those interested in history should plan time for the Roman castle Kelemantia which is on the way. However, an absolute highlight today is Esztergom (also known as „Hungarian Rome“): It´s basilica is the largest church of the country. Take time for a comprehensive visit.
Today you will cycle through the breathtaking landscape of the so-called “Donauknie” - very likely the most beautiful part throughout your journey. The Royal Palace and the castle of Visegrád will delight you and the open air museum as well as the baroque old town of Szentendre invites you to stay.
Soon you will arrive in Budapest, where you can review all impressions of this wonderful bike trip during a walk through the city. The rather short distance today will give you enough time to discover the Hungarian capital.
In the Hungarian capital city there are many things to discover. If you are interested in we would be pleased to book some extra nights for you. Our transfer from Budapest to Vienna is very comfortable (this can be arranged at additional charge).
You cycle on bike trails, ways alongside a dam and partly on relatively quiet side roads. Busy roads are of short-term duration. You cycle on unmade paths only for 3 short distances otherwise you will find asphalted roads. On the whole the route is signed very well with a few exceptions in the Slovakian part. Altogether the tour is relatively easy with slightly increases in some sections.
Category A: Accommodation in well selected hotels ****
Category B: Accommodation in chosen guest houses, hotels, and inns ***
- Overnight stays in chosen category
- Breakfast (buffet style)
- If half board: 7x 3-course dinner (in Vienna and Budapest only B&B)
- Luggage transport from hotel to hotel
- 7-day Service Hotline
- Well-planned route guidance
- Detailed travel documents
- Personal welcome meeting and bike fitting
- Coffee/tea and cake in a traditional coffee house in Bratislava
- Rental bike insurance
- GPS Tracks on request available
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Arrival by car or train to Vienna. Next airports: Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest.
- There are free parking places in public streets very close to your start hotel. Public garages are available with a fee of 3.60 €/day up to 12 €/day. A hotel garage is possible at a rate of 24 €/day. You will receive detailed information with your travel documents.
- Transfer from Budapest to Vienna by bus: bookable daily with departure at approx. 15h30; pick-up service directly at the hotel, duration approx. 3.5 hours, price 59 € per person including transfer of own bikes, reservation required; subject to availability at time of application; alternatively there are excellent rail connections available (without changing the train, several times daily). Special transfers are possible with at least 4 participants upon request.
- Please note: Where visitor´s tax is due, it is not included in the tour price.