St. Michael - Bad Radkersburg
Along the Mur cycle path from Gentian to Welschriesling wine
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
Arrival in St. Michael im Lungau
First, you will cycle to Tamsweg (historic market place, pilgrimage church of St. Leonhard). This region is characterised by wood in all its diversity (wood museum St. Ruprecht). Today’s destination is the tranquil town Murau, a medieval beer brewing town with a beer museum, the castle Obermurau, and a beautiful centre.
Today, you will ride your bike through the straits of the Mur valley at the foot of the Lower Tauern Mountains. In Frojach you will find the Narrow-Gauge Railway Museum, in Frauenburg legendary ruins, and in Sauerbrunn the oldest mineral water source in Styria. Many historic sites can also be seen in Judenburg: the city tower, the former sovereign’s castle, town houses, and Magdalen Church.
On the fourth day, you will visit Maria Buch (pilgrimage church) and the monastery Seckau (Benedictine abbey). In the old industrial towns, one can clearly see how successful the locals dealt with their past when watching their architectural sites: Well-kept old towns, vibrant pedestrian zones, and interesting museums. In Leoben you can visit the monastery Göss and the Gösser brewery. In Bruck an der Mur you will find interesting sites such as the Schlossberg hill, the Kornmesserhaus, and the city hall.
First, you will cycle to Frohnleiten (park Murlend, “Tratschweiberbrunnen” fountain). Then, you will find pure nature along the way: old farmhouses and orchards and high cliffs. You will come across castle Rabenstein, the Lurgrotte caves and the open-air museum Stübing. The capital city of Styria, Graz, has lots of points of interest to offer: the Schlossberg hill with its clock tower, castle Eggenberg, the country house and the town hall, countless museums, and great restaurants.
In the castle Seggau you can visit the Fürstenzimmer (sovereign’s room) and art gallery and enjoy some wine in the 300-year-old wine cellar. This way you can get into the right mood for the South Styrian wine road. In Leibnitz the temple museum Frauenberg and the roman museum Flavia Solva.
On the short final stage, you will find water of all kinds: the river Mur will guide your way, you can swim in Lake Röcksee, you can visit the mineral water spring Peterquelle, and relax in the thermal waters of Bad Radkersburg (historic old town with many different architectural styles!).
After breakfast individual depature or transfer by bus.
From the spring of the river Mur to the Slovenian border, the Mur cycle path inclines by a total of 1,700 metres in altitude on a length of about 365 kilometres. From St. Michael to Bad Radkersburg you will cycle downhill another 870 metres in altitude. This clearly shows that the Mur cycle path mostly leads downhill. Some slight climbs have to be cycled during the first two stages, but you will always find yourself on tranquil bike paths.
| Season 1 |
29.04.2023 - 12.05.2023
16.09.2023 - 23.09.2023
| Season 2 |
13.05.2023 - 15.09.2023
|Mur Cycle Path 8 days, cat. A, AT-STRMR-08A|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||319.00||319.00|
|Mur Cycle Path 8 days, cat. B, AT-STRMR-08B|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||219.00||219.00|
Category A: Carefully selected 4**** hotels
Category B: hotels, guest houses and inns (3***-level)
| Season 1 |
Apr 29, 2023 - May 12, 2023
Sep 16, 2023 - Sep 23, 2023
| Season 2 |
May 13, 2023 - Sep 15, 2023
|Double room p. p. cat. A||104.00||104.00|
|Double room p. p. cat. A||79.00||79.00|
|Double room p. p. cat. A||124.00||124.00|
|Double room p. p. cat. B||75.00||75.00|
|Double room p. p. cat. B||69.00||69.00|
|Double room p. p. cat. B||85.00||85.00|
- Accommodation in chosen category
- Daily breakfast from buffet
- Luggage transport between the hotels (1 piece per person with a maximum of 20 kg)
- If half-board booked: 7 x 3-course-menu (partly with voucher in a close-by restaurant in walking distance)
- 7-day Service hotline
- Well elaborated route guidance
- Detailed travel documents (1 package per room) incl. GPS data
- If bike rental: Personal tour information on site
- If bike rental: Rental bike insurance included
- Entry Parktherme Bad Radkersburg (cat. A only)
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Take the train to Salzburg, and then the bus or taxi bus into the Lungau region; details on request.
- Free, unattended public parking at the premises; carport € 30,- for the duration of the tour.
- Return transfer by bike taxi to St. Michael (every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday at 2:00 p.m. and every Sunday at 11:00 a.m.) € 68,- per person incl. bike; reservations required, payable locally. Reservations for the bike taxi have to be made when booking your initial tour package.
If you arrive by train, we recommend booking the bike taxi to Graz (€ 46,- per person incl. bike) or to Bruck an der Mur (€ 54,- per person incl. bike), from where you can get on to the train lines IC4 and IC5.
- Where visitor´s tax is due, it is not included in the tour price.