Chur - Basel
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- self guided
Arrival in Chur
Chur is the oldest city in Switzerland. Its history can be tracked back over 11000 years. Stroll through the small alleys in the old town.
You will soon cross the Principality of Liechtenstein and get to the Austrian medieval town of Feldkirch.
Along the Rhine to Altstätten and from there by rack railway to Gais in the Appenzell region. You cycle along picture-book mountain pastures with happy cows to St. Gallen.
Downhill to Arbon where you reach Lake Constance. You cycle through the Canton of Thurgau with its huge apple orchards. The route takes you through small villages to Constance.
Along the Lower Lake through fishing towns to the well-known city of Stein am Rhein. From there you follow the Rhine to Schaffhausen.
First highlight is the visit of the Rhine Falls near Schaffhausen. On your way to Waldshut-Tiengen you will be delighted by the Rheinau monastery, picturesquely located on an island.
Via Laufenburg you reach Bad Säckingen where you find the longest covered wooden bridge. Along the Rhine to Rheinfelden, from where you take the train to Basel.
Mostly dedicated cycle paths and quiet side roads, sometimes hilly, sometimes level ground. Especially on the first section often unpaved. A basic level of fitness is recommended.
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Best elaborated route
- Detailed travel documents
- Train journey from Altstätten – Gais incl. bike
- Train journey from Rheinfelden – Basel incl. bike
- Boat ride Rheinfallfelsen
- Entrance Rosgartenmuseum Constance incl. one cup of coffee
- Rental bike insurance
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Chur train station
- Zurich and Basel airport
- Public car par approx CHF 10 to CHF 20 per day, to be paid at the time, no reservation possible