Arrival in Saint Louis
Today you will leave Saint Louis through the three countries. First you cross the Rhine and cycle through Weil am Rhein with its Vitra Design Museum and Lörrach: the culture and shopping city in the border triangle, the city of voices and sculptures, the home of purple chocolate. After 35 km, arriving in Rheinfelden in Switzerland, discover the hidden gems that the old town has to offer. Enjoy a cruise on the Rhine (by yourself) to reach Basel again or continue by bike through Augst where you can visit the Roman city of Augusta Raurica.
This day starts with a train transfer from Saint-Louis to Mulhouse. Getting into a culinary journey through the land of the "baked carp"! The bike path will take you along the Rhine-Rhône Canal on the Eurovélo 6 to Illfurth. Then you will cycle through small villages such as Carspach and Hirtzbach, in the quiet Sundgau region: a paradise for cyclists who want to explore this typical Alsatian region away from mass tourism and combine nature and cultural experience. Laundry facilities, typical Sundgau half-timbered houses, fountains, crosses, landmarks, Wilhelminian architecture that remind us old and turbulent history of Sundgau.
Water, water, and water again ... you cycle through two countries and along four different waters. In the nature reserve of the small Camargue, you can relax watching the waterfowl along the Rhine. You continue via two locks to Niffer and Ottmarsheim. From there you will find the abbey church of St. Peter and Paul, replica of the palatine chapel of Aachen. You continue on paved forest roads through the Hardt forest and along the channels "Rhône au Rhin" and "Huningue" to the marina to Kembs (crossing the canal). Continue along the canal until the first dam of the “Grand Canal d'Alsace” and on the Rhine Island back to Weil am Rhein and Saint-Louis.
Today you cycle from your hotel to Weil am Rhein train station. There you can buy your train tickets to go to Bad Bellingen or Müllheim. From Bad Bellingen it goes through the idyllic winemakers Schliengen and Auggen, then to Müllheim. You cycle in Badenweiler and its Roman bath ruins to Bad Krozingen, again and again through the vines and small wine villages. In Bad Krozingen you can expect a lot of historic treasures, such as the Glöcklehof, Fridolins and Joseph Chapels, as well as the Bad Krozinger Castle. Then the route leads you back to Bad Bellingen along the Rhine. At the end of the bike tour, you can visit the spa museum in Bad Bellingen or take a refreshing dip in the healing "balinea thermal baths"! From Bad Bellingen back by train.
For centuries the people of Basel like to make their way into the Markgräferland, to eat, to drink - just to enjoy. By bike we choose the same way! From Saint-Louis, cross the Rhine and cycle to Haltingen. From there continue through well-kept villages and lively landscapes or with the Kandertalbahn to the pottery town Kandern. Continue through Efringen churches. Stop at the winery Markgräflerland, then continue on a very good dirt road, which is marked as a bike path. It goes back along the Rhine to Saint-Louis.
Departure or extension
You will mainly ride on cycle paths, on minor agricultural tarred roads or on little secondary roads without much traffic. Three stages are a little bit hilly.
- Accommodation in your selected hotel
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Best elaborated route
- Detailed travel information 1x per room (German, English, French, with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Train journey Saint-Louis - Mulhouse
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Basel or Saint Louis train station
- Basel airport or Basel/Mulhouse airport then shuttle service for free to the hotel
- Underground parking in the hotel, € 10,- per day. Public outdoor parking or public car park with costs.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Cruise on the Rhine at 2nd day from Rheinfelden to Basel approx. € 45,- per person (duration approx. 3h)
- Train ride at 5th day from Weil am Rhein to Bad Bellingen approx. € 5,- per person and ride or from Weil am Rhein to Müllheim approx. € 8,- per person and ride
- Kandertalbahn at 6th day approx. € 10,- per person and ride (€ 6,- for the ride per person and € 4,- per bike, Attention: limited space for bikes, E-Bikes cannot be taken on the train)