You leave Villach along the river Gail and in a little while you leave Austria and welcome Italy. In the triangle of Italy, Austria and Slovenia sprawls the canal valley, the Italian city of Tarvis builds the centre of it. Austrians, Slovenians and Italians are living here next to each other since centuries, so all three big European families of languages – Germans, Romans and Slavs – are meeting up here.
Continuing through the valley you admire the beauty of this alpine region with intact and untouched nature and forests to Maggio.
Wine determines this route. Hills with grape-vines are accompanying you and inviting for a wine tasting. Venetian coined Udine airs silence and considerateness. During a coffee on the “Piazza” or a stroll through the inner city you can admire the great gothic and renaissance buildings.
Accompanied from the breeze of Scirocco you pass landscapes with reed and water canals until you reach Grado, the historic fisher harbour and popular bathing resort at the Adriatic Sea.
Today you are spoilt for choice: you can have an exciting day in Aquileia along the tracks of Romans or a relaxing day at the Sea. Discover the secrets of “second Rome” – roman ruins, ancient churches and lonesome landscapes. Or enjoy in a canvas chair the warm sun in the lagoon with miles long sandy beaches.
The karst is accompanying you through the hinterland on your way to the Adriatic Sea. You follow a breathtaking beautiful coastal area. Palace Miramare is inviting you for a visit before you reach the former Habsburg city Trieste. The old harbour and trading town is a worthy finish of this bike tour. Optional: it’s possible to shorten the stage by continuing by train from Monfalcone (about 35 km + train ride, ticket not included)
Easy bike tour on bike paths or along quiet side roads through small villages and idyllic landscapes. We recommend this tour for children from 14 years on.
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Personal tour information
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Well-developed route
- Detailed travel documents
- Service hotline
- Return transfer by minibus to Villach every Wednesday and Saturday, costs €59 per person incl. your bike, reservations is necessary, min. 2 persons
Arrival / Parking /Departure
- Train station Villach
- Airport Klagenfurt, Salzburg and Ljubljana
- Parking space at the hotel or near the hotel. Public park garage for about € 35 per week. A reservation is not possible, payable locally.
- Every Wednesday and Saturday return transfer by shuttle bus from Trieste to Villach, price € 59 per person, bike included. A reservation is necessary
- Good train connection between Trieste and Villach