Arrival in Magliano
In the evening, you will have your welcome meeting, rental bike distribution and fitting. This is carried out by the hotel staff. Enjoy the marvellous view here already.
Maremma presents itself already today from its most beautiful side with soft rolling hills. During the entire route you will keep on enjoying amazing views onto olive groves, vineyards, vines and wheat fields. Capalbio, this cultural destination, is very tranquil and is popular with artists. Here you have plenty of options for a break. Enjoy a glass of red wine whilst gazing into the distance – you might even get a glimpse of the sea!
Spectacular views of the surrounding downs will accompany you today along the way to Grosseto. There is only one longer ascent to tackle, otherwise the route leads mainly downhill. Amongst 4 cities in Italy with a completely intact city wall, the main town of the Maremma region is one of them. Take a leisurely stroll across the Piazza Sale to the Piazza Dante and to the San Lorenzo cathedral. Pick one of the numerous charming and vibrant cafés and restaurants for a rest before you take the train back towards the hotel.
Today is the day! The sea finally awaits you! Make sure you take a break at the fine sandy beach and enjoy the turquoise-blue water. If you do not fancy a swim, simply continue cycling a little further into the medieval Talamone, the former seaport of Siena! Then you cycle on remote paths through the nature park of Maremma, with only the sound of the ‚singing’ cicadas along the way.
Today wonderful roads lead you through breath-taking landscape to the Etruscans, who populated the Marammea region over 2500 years ago. It is incredible what they created such a long time ago! After passing the excavation sites in Sovana, you reach Pitigliano after an exciting descent. The town appears to come right out of the rock, as if the houses were natural growths protruding from the tuff. This makes an incredible photo motif! In the evening, you take a bus transfer back to your accommodation.
Today’s stage is all about wine. Since only a few years the Morellino is the new ‚’star’ on the Tuscan ‚’wine-sky’. With a deep red colour and a vibrant bouquet, you have definitely earned a glass of it at your arrival at the Piazza in Scansano at the latest. You have now reached the highest point of this tour and from here back to the hotel it is only going to be downhill! Enjoy the fabulous views over the colourful hills all the way to the sea once more!
Departure or extension
This region is perfect for an amazing cycle holiday. You cycle on country roads with very little traffic over soft rolling and rarely steeper hills from one highlight to the next. A basic level of fitness is necessary in order to be able to enjoy this stunning scenery at the same time. Heavier traffic is only present on very short segments.
- Accommodation as already mentioned in rooms with balcony/terrace
- Breakfast buffet
- Developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, French - with route maps, route description,
local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1 Train journey from Grosseto – Albinia incl. your bike
- 1 Bus transfer from Pitigliano – hotel incl. your bike
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Grosseto train station, by taxi to the hotel, costs approx. € 70 per fare
- Albinia train station, hotel pick-up service possible, costs approx. € 80 per ride, max. 4 people, reservation necessary, to be paid for at the time
- Airport Florence, Pisa and Rome
- Free parking at the hotel
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!