Arrival in Lübeck
You start the tour in the magnificent old Hanseatic city of Lubeck which was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987.
You are offered splendid views of Lubeck and the Neustadt bay. On your way you pass the seaside resorts of Timmendorfer Strand and Scharbeutz and also Germany’s oldest lighthouse in Travemunde.
Along the Mecklenburg Bay to the coastal resort of Gromitz with its 400 m long pier and 8 km long sandy beach. The pretty old town of Heiligenhafen and the remarkable salt storehouse are worth an evening stroll.
Via Oldenburg, passing old mansions and ‘Knicks’, Schleswig-Holstein’s traditionally grown hedges. Through untouched nature and former salt marshes to Schonberg.
From Laboe you take the ferry to Friedrichsort. Along the fjords through the „Schwedeneck“ (the Swede‘s corner) through meadows and small forests to Eckernforde.
You cycle north via the „Schwansen“ peninsula to Kappeln, through cute little villages and the Baltic resort of Damp. Visit the great smock mill, the „Heringszaun“ (hering fence) and the harbour.
Kappeln – Flensburgapprox. 60 km + boat trip (not running on Mondays in April, May and September) or approx. 75 km
Through „Angeln“, the land between the „Schlei“ and Flensburg and further along the Flensburg fjords to the Renaissance castle in Glucksburg. From there you take the boat to Flensburg.
Mainly on level ground, sometimes slightly hilly, mostly on quiet country roads, cycle paths, field and forest trails, occasionally on sandy tracks, concreted paths and on cobblestone. The route is not always along the coast but takes frequent swings into the varied countryside further inland.
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Best elaborated route
- Detailed travel documents (route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Boat trip Laboe-Friedrichsort incl. bike
- Boat trip Glücksburg-Flensburg incl. bike (not running on Mondays in April, May and September)
- Rental bike insurance
Arrival / parking / departure
- Lübeck train station
- Multi-storey car park at Lübeck € 6 per day to be paid for at the time, no reservation possibleReturn transfer by minibus every Saturday (May-Sep.) € 70 per person,to be paid for at the time, reservation necessary
- Good train connections from Lübeck to Flensburg