Altmühltal and the Danube
Loop tour from Regensburg.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- self guided
Arrival in Regensburg
The city is the best preserved large city in Germany and UNESCO world cultural heritage. Enjoy your stay in the medieval alleyways.
You cycle upstream along the Danube to Kelheim to the water mouth of river Altmühl. Here you go by boat through the spectacular Danube opening to monastery Weltenburg. Goal is Abensberg/Bad Gögging where already the Romans made use of the hot springs.
You continue unhurried to Ingolstadt, not only registered office of Audi, also well preserved old Bavarian fortress city. In Neuburg you can visit one of the most beautiful renaissance palaces at river Danube.
Today you cycle from river Danube through the ancestral Danube valley to river Altmühl. Here you will find the impressing lump of rocks which made valley Altmühltal so famous. Eichstätt was developed through bishops to a baroque residence.
Past Roman castle Vetoniana you continue through the romantic valley. In Dietfurt you reach the Main-Danube-canal.
You cycle to Riedenburg which is called the “pearl” of Altmühltal. A boat will bring you to Kelheim where you reach the Danube. You cycle along the Danube bike path back to Regensburg, which is maybe the most beautiful German big city.
You cycle mostly on good bike paths, adequate tour for families!
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- If half board is booked: every day a 3 course meal
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents (route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers) 1x per room
- Boat tour Kelheim – Weltenburg incl. bike
- Boat tour Kelheim – Riedenburg incl. Bike (not possible on monday)
- GPS Tracks available
- 7-days-service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Train station Regensburg
- Public car park 15 minutes from the hotel, € 10 per day.
- free park and ride at the Nibelungenbrück
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!