Arrival in Villach
Follow the river Seebach out of Villach and shortly afterwards, the ruin of Landskron castle will appear reigning regally over the countryside. Soon you arrive at Lake Ossiacher See which lies idyllically amid the mountains. You will pass numerous seaside resorts and the old Ossiach Collegiate Church. The clear, deep green water invites you to stop and have a swim before returning to Villach.
For the first few kilometres, the river Drau is pointing the way, passing by a countryside that has kept its naturalness even to the present. At the famous lake Wörthersee, there are plenty offers for the entire family; public bathing beaches, boat rentals and boat trips on the lake. The route will take you through lively villages to Klagenfurt. By train you travel back to Villach.
In the morning the train takes you to Tarvisio in Italy. The border town is a winter and summer sport centre. The bike trip is going along the Ciclovia Alpe Adria bike path, built on the old railway line. The way leads down through the Val Canale and is very spectacular because you pass some tunnels and bridges high above the valley. You will pass typical Italian villages and unspoilt nature. You go back by train.
After a short transfer in the morning to Kransjka Gora (Slovenia) you cycle on the well laid out path along an old railway track to Italy in the Italian border towe Tarviso, known for its market and the typical Italian flair.
By train you go to Hermagor. Today you follow the Gailtal bike path. The wide valley has kept its naturalness and the course is going along the river Gail. At the beginning you pass lake Pressegger See, it`s one of the smaller lakes in Carinthia and will invite all epicures to a relaxing break. Before reaching Villach, you pass a nature conservation area, resulting from a rockfall of the giant Dobratsch mountain.
Departure or extension
The Villach – based in one hotel is an easy cycle tour. The paths leading through the Carinthian lake paradise are almost flat without noteworthy inclines mostly running along the lakeside. The cycling paths are almost all asphalted.
The tour is suitable for children from the age of 12.
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Half board: min. 3 course dinner or buffet
- Welcome briefing (GE,EN,IT)
- Well-developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (GE,EN,IT with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Train journey incl. your bike: according to the program
- Service Hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Train station Villach
- Airport Klagenfurt, continue by train to Villach
- Unattended parking space at the hotel or near the hotel. Public garage for about € 35 per week. A reservation is not possible, payable locally.
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price.