It is recommended to arrive early because Passau has much to offer. The well-known cathedral houses the world´s biggest church organ. In the evening: personal welcome briefing and handover of the bikes (if booked).
You will soon reach Austrian territory. First you cycle through the Sauwald region to Engelhartszell, where the only trappist monastery of Austria invites you to a liqueur tasting. Children can spend some time at the so-called “Mini-Donau”: an adventure park to learn about the different sections of the Danube. Then the route guides you through the nature reserve Donauleiten, from where you reach the Schlögen Bend. This is where granite proved to be too much of an opponent and forced the Danube to change directions by 180 degrees. This natural spectacle will inspire you! In the evening you can relax in the indoor swimming pool of your hotel.
Today you cycle through the green Eferdinger Basin via the market towns of Aschach, Ottensheim and Wilhering to the Upper Austrian capital of Linz. The last part you will have a train ticket included. The historic old town has many pubs and eateries for you to discover. Other highlights of the European Capital of Culture 2009 include the magnificent views from Pöstlingberg Mountain with the Fairytale World and a walk through the Donaulände Park.
You continue your trip and cycle through the river wetlands to the mouth of the river Enns. Take time to visit the oldest city of Austria before you reach with Mitterkirchen your today´s destination. You will be accommodated at an original farm where children have the possibility to help feeding the animals. Additionally, a Celtic village will give you impressions about former times.
Today you cycle through the rich planes of the Machland area and enter the wild Strudengau-valley with its dreamy little towns and villages. On the way to your destination „Nibelungengau area“, you cycle through lush forests in untouched nature.
This stage firstly takes you to Melk with its world´s biggest Baroque abbey. Subsequently you pass winegrowing villages, old fortified churches and ancient castles of the Wachau region. In Dürnstein you will board a river boat to Krems, well known as the capitol of the Wachau.
You start in the morning with a train ride from Krems to Tulln. Today you pass Greifenstein and Klosterneuburg. Your tour ends in the Danube metropolis of Vienna. Don’t forget to visit the “Würstelprater”, the vibrant entertainment area of Vienna’s Prater and experience its positive mood. We have included a ride with the well-known and famous Ferris wheel.
Your bike tour finishes after breakfast. Vienna has a lot of attractions. We would be pleased to book some additional nights for you.
Flat or slightly downhill along the Danube; well-built cycling path almost all the way without motor vehicles; only very short sections of this route run on minor roads - with the chosen short distances especially for families with children designed.
Accommodation: Carefully selected hotels 3/4* and one night at an original farm (but in rooms with own shower and toilet)
- Overnight stays in above mentioned category
- Breakfast buffet
- If half-board is booked: 6x dinner (in Vienna B&B only)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Service-hotline for the duration of the tour
- Excellently planned routes
- Detailed travel information with route description and card material
- Ticket for the Ferris wheel in Vienna
- Train ticket from Ottensheim to Linz including bike
- Train ticket from Krems to Tulln including bike
- Boat ticket from Dürnstein to Krems including bike
- Surprise for the children
- Personal tour information on spot
- Ticket for Pöstlingbergbahn and Grottenbahn
- Rental bike insurance
- GPS Tracks available on request
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Arrival by car or train to Passau. Next airports: Linz, Munich, or Vienna.
- There are public parking spaces with obligatory parking fees. No reservation possible, payable on spot; price: about 4 € / day;
- Daily transfer from Vienna to Passau: pick-up service directly at the hotel; duration: about 3,5 to 4 hours; price: 55 € per person including bike; reservation required; Alternative: return journey by train; train ticket is available in advance for 25 € per person (doesn´t include the transfer of own bikes).
- Please note: Where visitor´s tax is due, it is not included in the tour price.