Danube bike path - farm to farm
Discover the Danube entire rural
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- self guided
Arrival to Schärding
Your arrival takes place in the beautiful baroque city Schärding. The city was established already 1,200 years before. Take enough time for a short stroll and discover the interesting history.
The first part you will follow the River Inn to Passau. Passau is also known as the city of three rivers, because the rivers Inn and Ilz confluence there into the river Danube. The latter one will escort you the rest of your journey up to Vienna. In Passau you will board a river boat and ship over Obernzell and Engelhartszell to the well-known Danube bend (Attention: The boat does not run in season 1 - during this period the total distance need to be done by bike). On the last part you will cycle through the so-called Eferdinger basin, passing Aschach to Feldkirchen. Local swimming lakes invite you there for a quick refreshing dip.
Today you will pass the Upper Austrian capital Linz and the historical town Enns. Further on you will soon reach Mitterkirchen. There you can visit a Celtic Village and learn about early rural structures and civilization.
You will continue alongside the Danube and reach to beautiful little baroque town of Grein. Here you have the opportunity to visit the oldest municipal theater in Austria that is still being used. Additionally you can visit the maritime museum or Greinburg castle. Just a short distance and you will reach with Marbach your today´s destination.
Start your day with a visit of Maria Taferl with its magnificent pilgrimage church, which attracts many pilgrims every year. That will be followed with two absolute highlights: The amazing beauty of the Melk abbey, and the picturesque Wachau region, where you can enjoy the charming atmosphere of the region’s typical orchards and vineyards. You pass through the little wine towns of Spitz and Weißenkirchen, cycle past the Dürnstein castle ruin, and finish your journey in the 1,000-year old town of Krems. Maybe you are lucky and meet a local winemaker who can tell you a lot about his work inside the vineyards!
From the 1,000-year-old town Krems you cycle over Traismauer and end your stage in Langenschönbichl. There you can enjoy the silence and culture of the rural region over again.
Soon you will reach the Roman town of Tulln. It is worth to visit the Egon-Schiele-museum there. The final kilometers of your bike tour are a relaxed trip to the Danube metropolis of Vienna. As soon as you arrive you can occupy your room and then enjoy all the amenities of the city for the rest of the day. Enjoy a cup of coffee and the typical Vienna cake „Sachertorte“ in one of the numerous coffee houses or treat yourself to a roundtrip with the horse-drawn cab „Fiaker“. Walk along Vienna’s famous shopping street (along Mariahilfer Straße), or visit the St Stephen’s Cathedral.
Your journey ends after breakfast. On request we offer a transfer back by van to Schärding.
Flat or slightly downhill along the Danube; well-built cycling path almost all the way without motor vehicles; only very short sections of this route run on minor roads - the Danube cycle path is a perfect example of a cycle route. This journey is also suitable for families with children.
- Accommodation in the mentioned category
- Daily breakfast from buffet or extended breakfast
- Daily luggage transfer
- 7 day service hotline
- Well elaborated route
- Detailed travel documents
- Personal welcome briefing upon arrival
- Free guarded parking place
- Boat ticket from Passau to Schlögen including bike transfer (Attention: Boat does not run in season 1 - during this period the total distance need to be done by bike)
- Danube card Upper Austria (with lots of local reductions)
- Rental bike insurance
- GPS Tracks available upon request
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Arrival by train or car to Schärding.
- Parking in Schärding: Free guarded parking at our local service station in the outskirt of the city center.
- Transfer by van from Vienna to Passau possible daily with start approx. 2.30 PM in Vienna. Price: 55 € per person including bike transfer (to be paid on spot). Alternatively return journey by train at a rate of 25 € per person (excluding bikes).
- Please note: Where visitor´s tax is due, it is not included in the tour price.