Stroll through the pretty little baroque town of Schärding and marvel at the famous Silberzeile lane, or take a walk through the “New Centre” of Passau, the three rivers town , which has been completely redesigned as a pedestrian, car-free area.
Today, you will start your tour from Schärding, along the river Inn to Passau, where the Inn joins the Danube. On the Danube cycle path you will cross the upper Danube valley and pass the town Engelhartszell with its impressive abbey church of the monastery Engelszell. Then, you will cycle via Niederranna and approach today’s highlight, the “Schlögen bend“. Here, the second largest river in Europe is forced by the granite of the Bohemian Massif into a unique 180° turn. You will have time to watch this natural phenomenon during a ferry ride to the other side of the river.
Today, you will ride your bike through the green area of the Eferdinger Becken (basin) via Aschach, Ottensheim, and Wilhering to the Upper Austrian capital Linz. Following the motto, “In Linz beginnt’s” (“It starts in Linz”) you can begin your city tour in one of the many restaurants in the historic old town. Further highlights of the European culture capital of 2009 are the magnificent views from the Pöstlingberg or a stroll along the Danube.
For a change, you will not cycle along the Danube today, but to St. Florian (Augustinian Canons) and Enns. In Enns you will visit the town square with its 60 meter high city tower, the landmark of Austria’s oldest city or you can visit the archaeological collection at the city museum Lauriacum. Later, you will again cycle along the Danube and get to the beautiful baroque town Grein. Here, you will have the opportunity to get an impression of the oldest still performing city theatre in Austria. Additionally, you can visit the maritime museum or the Greinburg castle. Afterwards, you will leave Upper Austria and cycle in the Weinviertel region to Marbach.
In Melk, you should stop briefly and look up – otherwise you may miss the beauty of Melk abbey, which towers above the Danube. As soon as you have left the city behind you, you will cycle into the landscape of the Wachau region, where you will be enchanted by the atmosphere of the typical fruit orchards and vineyards. Then, you will cycle via the wine towns of Spitz and Weißenkirchen and past the ruins of the castle Dürnstein and the 1,000-year-old town of Krems until you finish your stage. Today, we will organise wine tasting for you – which is a must during a visit to the Wachau region.
The last few kilometres of your bike journey will take you to the Danube metropolis of Vienna. After your arrival, you can check into your room and use the rest of your day to immerse yourself in the city of Vienna. Enjoy a cup of “Verlängerter” coffee and a piece of the famous cake Sachertorte in one of the typical Viennese coffee houses. Stroll through Vienna’s shopping street Mariahilferstraße, visit St. Stephen’s Cathedral, or get to know the main attractions of the city during a ride with one of the famous “Fiaker” (horse-drawn carriages).
Departure or extension
Flat or slightly downhill along the Danube; well-built cycling path almost all the way without motor vehicles. Minor roads make up only very short sections of this route – the Danube cycle path is a perfect example of a cycle route.
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- If half board is booked: 5 x 3-course dinner (in Vienna B&B)
- Welcome briefing
- Luggage transfer between hotels
- Detailed travel information (route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1x ferry ride (Au-Schlögen) incl. bike
- 1x wine tasting in the Wachau region
- Danube Card in upper Austria
- GPS-data is available
- Rental bike insurance
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Schärding and Passau train station
- Munich and Vienna airport
- Schärding: Free public car park on the Eurobike premises directly on the cycle path.
- Passau: Public car park approx. € 35 per week, no reservation possible/necessary
- Return transfer with van from Vienna, daily in the afternoon. Costs € 59 per person, bike included. Reservation necessary.
- Good train connections between Vienna and Schärding/Passau
- Where visitor´s tax is due, it is not included in the tour price.
- When booking, please let us know in which city you will arrive.