Stroll through the pretty little baroque town of Schärding and marvel at the famous Silberzeile lane or take a walk through the “New Centre” of Passau, the three rivers town , which has been completely redesigned as a pedestrian, car-free area.
First, you will follow the river Inn to Passau where it joins the Danube and then you will cycle along the Danube towards Engelhartszell. Here you should not miss visiting the abbey Engelhartszell with its own liquor production. On your further journey to Linz you will come across the unique nature phenomenon “Schlögler Schlinge”, where the Danube is forced to make a 180° turn. Once you have reached the European culture capital of 2009, you can enjoy the lively historic old town, the scenic views of Linz from the Pöstlingberg, or simply a walk along the Danube.
You will leave Linz and cycle towards Strudengau and Nibelungengau. You will cycle past the Celtic village Mitterkirchen and just before the border between Upper and Lower Austria you will see the baroque town of Grein with Austria’s oldest city theatre and the castle Greinburg. Then you will continue your journey to Maria Taferl and Melk. Here you should stop briefly and look up – otherwise you may miss the beauty of the abbey Melk, which towers above the Danube.
Today, you will leave Melk and cycle into the landscape of the Wachau region, where you will be enchanted by the atmosphere of the typical fruit orchards and vineyards. Today, we will organise wine tasting for you – which is a must during a visit to the Wachau region. Refreshed, you will cycle past the wine towns of Spitz and Weißenkirchen as well as the ruins of Dürnstein castle. During the last kilometres of your bike tour you will cycle via the 1,000-year-old town of Krems and the Roman town of Tulln to the Danube metropolis of Vienna.
Flat or slightly downhill along the Danube; well-built cycling path almost all the way without motor vehicles. Minor roads make up only very short sections of this route – the Danube cycle path is a perfect example of a cycle route.
Category A: 4****-hotels or the best local hotels
Category B: 4****- and 3***-hotels
Category C: 3***-hotels and inns, at Linz and Vienna 4****-hotels
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- If half board is booked: 3 x 3-course dinner (in Vienna B&B)
- Welcome briefing
- Luggage transfer between hotels
- developed route
- Detailed travel information (route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1x ferry ride (Au-Schlögen) incl. bike
- 1x wine tasting in the Wachau region
- Danube Card in upper Austria
- GPS-data is available
- Rental bike insurance
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Schärding and Passau train station
- Munich and Vienna airport
- Schärding: Free public car park on the Eurobike premises directly on the cycle path.
- Passau: Public car park approx. € 35 per week, no reservation possible/necessary
- Return transfer with van from Vienna, daily in the afternoon. Costs € 59 per person, bike included. Reservation necessary.
- Good train connections between Vienna and Schärding/Passau
Where visitor´s tax is due, it is not included in the tour price.