Passau - Vienna, MS Normandie
Along the Danube bike path with bike and boat
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- self guided
Arrival in Passau
The Episcopal city close to the Bavarian/Austrian border is also known as the "City of three Rivers." Boarding time is at approx. 4-5 pm, departure around 7 pm Enjoy your first dinner on board and an evening sail to Engelhartszell.
Need a boost? Try some of the special cordials and liqueurs in the Trappist monastery in Engelhartszell. Supposedly, they have "special healing power." Downstream, the way leads you to pretty villages amid natural landscape. For a change take the little ferry boat through the romantic Schlögener loop, where the river makes a very abrupt 180 degree turn (approx. € 3,- per pers.). Shipping from Untermühl to Linz. Tip: discover Linz, the capital of upper Austria while riding on the bright yellow City-Express.
In the early morning shipping to Mauthausen.
You have the possibility to visit the memorial-place KZ-Mauthausen. The Celtic town Mitterkirchen gives you an insight of the past. For easy cyclists the tour leads along the Danube, the alternative route, "Clam Castle," through the beautiful back country of the "Strudengau" is slightly hilly, but a fantastic landscape. Worth a visit in Grein: the impressive Castle of Greinburg.
Today's stage is marked by a diverse landscape. At the beginning, there is the Strudengau – a narrow point of the Danube which used to be notorious amongst skippers. The valley expands from Persenbeug and the bike tour leads you further to Melk with its gorgeous baroque monastery of the Benedictine brethren. On deck, you enjoy the sunset and the beautiful evening illumination of the Wachau. Today's final destination is Tulln, famous for its numerous market gardens where the famous Art Nouveau artist Egon Schiele was born.
Right in front of Vienna's entrance, embedded in a breathtaking landscape, the monastery of Klosterneuburg is situated. You can already see the cupola of this 900 year old baroque building from a distance. "Kahlenbergerdorf" with it's wine taverns is definitely worth a visit. After a stroll through the vineyards, you can enjoy the panoramic view over Vienna.
Vienna (rest day)
You should be sure to see the most famous places of interest like the St. Stephens Cathedral and the Hofburg, the gorgeous boulevard "Ringstraβe" with the Burgtheater, the State Opera House or the town hall that takes you back to the past. Take your time in the afternoon to stroll or visit one of the famous Viennese coffee bars.
In the night shipping to Dürnstein or Rossatz.
Your last biking day is a special highlight! Amidst small dreamy villages, apricot trees, vineyards, castles, monasteries and ruins, this gentle hilly landscape enchants everybody. A powerful ruin looms above the small Baroque town of Dürnstein, while the blue tower of the monastery church is a landmark of Wachau. In the evening farewell dinner and cocktail.
Every journey draws to an end. Once again you enjoy on deck the first sunbeams and the peaceful silence of the Danube Valley. Take a last sight at the Schlögener Schlinge ("Great Loop") before you arrive relaxed at Passau. Arrival is about 10 am, disembarkation half an hour later. We recommend to arrange connecting trips from noon onwards.
Flat and slightly downhill, for relaxed cycling, suitable for beginners and children.
- Program as mentioned in the tour course from/to Passau
- 7 overnights in cabins with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category
- Full board: 7 x breakfast buffet, 6 x small lunch or lunch package for your bike tour, 6 x coffee and cake in the afternoon,7 x 3-course dinner
- Welcome and farewell drink
- Musicians on board
- Daily cleaning of cabins
- Change of towels and bed linen if required
- Port fees included
- Daily bike tour briefing
- 1x route book for self-guided tours per cabin
- GPS data is available
- Board tour guidance
- Rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Passau mains station is about 5 km away from the pier
- Parking space (fenced area) incl. transfer parking space – boat – parking space € 68 per week
Park garage incl. transfer park garage – boat – park garage €79 per week
(Application form in your travel documents, pay there)
Number of participants
- Min. 50 people
- Timetable and program are subject to change. At extreme flooding or low water the boat company reserves the right to transport you by bus or to cancel the whole tour. There is no demand against that (water level is subject to force majeure clause). This is also validating for unforeseeable incidents like the reparation of a water gate/bridge or in case of an engine breakdown of the boat.
- Please keep in mind that your boat is your hotel on the one hand and your motor-driven transport on the other hand. It has to move on at night as well. If you are sensitive to noise, please bring earplugs with you.
This tour has 1 more variation
Enjoy a great bike tour where you get to sleep on board a boat each evening. The MS Normandie is a very middle-class barge with a friendly and comfortable atmosphere.