Brussels - Bruges, MS Quo Vadis
Flanders by bike & boat, MS Quo Vadis
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
Arrival in Brussels
You will find MS QUO VADIS in the port of Brus-sels and the crew welcomes you on board. Take some time to wander around the old town that is worth seeing, having a look at the Gothic town hall, the beautiful guild houses, the big market and the “Männeken Pis”.
During breakfast cruise to Vilvoorde. Your first bike tour leads you via Mechelen. Remarkable is the closeness of more than 300 landmarked buildings, there under eight churches, on less then three square metre. You cycle through green and hilly landscape and along dreamy villages and wonderful manor houses to Willebroek. Your boat cruises along Willebroek-canal in the meantime.
From Willebroek via Lier to Antwerp. The harbour city is world centre for diamante production and offers numerous places of interest as for example the town hall in renaissance style, the historic Grote market, the cathedral and the medieval fortress Steen.
Your bike tour leads you in direction Hemiksem, where you cycle after a small climb on to Rupelmonde. Here, where river Rupel meets river Schelde, you follow the Rupel for a while before you reach after some kilometres the village of Niel, which is connected to the preserve area Walenhoek. Between Niel and Boom there is a historic brickworks area, where clinkers are produced since the medieval times. You cross the Brussels-Rupel-canal and reach the water tower in the suburban area of Sint Amands (it is also possible to overnight in Dendermonde).
Along Schelde bank you continue to the beautiful city Dendermonde, where your today’s bike tour ends. A “must” is a coffee break at the wonderful Flemish Grote market. If the night before was in Dendermone, you start cycling in Sint Amands. Your bike tour leads you to Gent today, where your boat is awaiting you. Explore the old city of Gent by bike or by foot. It was the second-biggest city after Paris and still shows architectural wealth in the historic city centre.
In the morning departure to Vinderhoute. Today´s bike tour follows the Gent-Oostende-canal through the Flemish lowlands to Bruges. The “Venice of the North” is well-known as art- and museum city in Europe. The old city with its numerous canals is part of the UNESCO world cultural heritage. Take your time to explore the lively atmosphere around Grote market.
Via the small city Damme („birth place“ of Till Eulenspiegel) and Groot Ter Doest with worth-seeing abbey Ter Doest the bike tour leads to Lissewege, the „most beautiful village in Flanders“ – white houses are located on both sides of the small canals and around the imposing church. Afterwards you continue to the seaside resort Blankenberge. A long beach and numerous cafes are inviting for a stay. After about 2 hours return journey to Bruges.
After breakfast disembarkation until 9.30 am and individual trip home.
A tour for 'fair-weather cyclists' - this tour is suitable for everyone with an average level of fitness. The route mainly goes along tarmac bike paths, agricultural roads but also along field and forest paths. There are short sections that go along busier and faster roads. The route is mainly flat but there are hills sometimes.
Guided and self-guided bike tours: The guided tours are finalised by your guide depending on the ability of the group. Those on self-guided tours get route books, which they can collect from the boat upon arrival. You will cycle approx. 40 - 60km each day. All of the mentioned distances are approximations of the recommended routes.
- Program according to itinerary on the MS Quo Vadis
- 7 nights stay in an outer cabin with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast, small lunch or packed lunch for your bike tours, coffee and tea in the afternoon, three-course dinner
- Welcome drink
- Daily cleaning of cabins
- Linen and change of towels if required
- All harbour, bridge and lock fees
- Daily bike tour briefing
- Local tour guide on guided bike tours; self-guided trips with route book (available on board)
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Bruges station (Stationsplein) is about 3 km away from the pier
- Brussels North station (Gare du Nord`) is about 5 km form the pier
- Car parks are available in Bruges and Brussels. In Brussels at the train station "Gare du Nord“ it costs about €15 per day, a reservation is not possible. In Bruges at the car park “Stationsplein (train station) it costs about €4 per day. Reservation is not possible.
- If you come by train, you will arrive at Stationsplein (Bruges main station). The landing stage is not far away by bus or taxi.
- Return journey by train to Bruges or Brussels for about €18 per person.
- Program and details are subject to change due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a free cancellation).
- EU citizens need a valid passport or an ID-Card.
- Vegetarian food or dietary requests can be catered for upon request and for a surcharge.You might need to bring some of the products on your own. You must let us know at least 14 days in advance or at the time of booking.
- You should definitely bring good rain clothes (coat and trousers), a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
Number of participants
- Minimum of 20 people
This tour has 1 more variation
MS Quo Vadis
With the MS Quo Vadis on a combined bike and boat journey through Netherlands and Belgium. Have a pleasant stay on board and enjoy the varied cycling routes.