Bruges - Brussels, MS Quo Vadis
Flanders by bike & boat, MS Quo Vadis
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
Arrival in Bruges
Arrival in Bruges as arranged by you. Your boat will be waiting for you at Bruges harbour. The team will give you a warm welcome. Take some time today to explore some of the town's attractions.
"Venice of the North“ is well known throughout Europe as a city of art and museums. Its city centre has lots of canals and is on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List. Enjoy a cup of tea or coffee while watching the hustle and bustle at the “Grote Markt”.
Today you cycle via Damme, which is a little town and where Till Eulenspiegels was born. You will also go via Groot Ter Doest where there is Ter Doest abbey, which is worth a visit. You then arrive in Lissewege - "Flanders' loveliest city". There are white-washed houses on both sides of the little canal and an impressive village church.
You then head to Blankenberge seaside resort. There is a long sandy beach with numerous cafes where you can relax. After about 2 hours it is time to head back to Bruges.
Whilst you eat breakfast, the barge will sail to Moerebrugge. Today’s bike tour follows the canal from Ghent to Oostende. You will cycle through the stretched Flemish landscape to Ghent. The lovely illuminated streets in the town centre are ideal for a stroll. The architectural richness in Ghent's historical centre has been well maintained. During the Middle Ages, Ghent was the 2nd largest European city after Paris. The landing stage is next to a lock about 15 minutes away from the city centre by bike.
After breakfast you will cycle to Dendermonde. Here you can’t escape a tea or coffee break on the beautiful Flemish Grote Market square. In the evening, the boat continues to Sint Amands along one of the nicest sections of the river Schelde due to how windy it is.
Today you will cycle past the water tower and you will cross the Brussels-Rupel canal. The tour continues through a historical brick factory area between Boom and Niel where bricks have been made since the Middle Ages.. and still are being made!
From Rupelmonde you will have a lovely and leisurely cycle tour to Hemiksem, to reach Antwerp in the end. This harbour city on the river Schelde is one of the world's major diamond cities and has many highlights. These include the City Hall (one of several majestic buildings constructed in the Renaissance), the historical City Square Grote Market, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe cathedral and the medieval Steen Castle. Dinner will be in a restaurant of your choice.
After breakfast you cycle to Willebroek via Lier where the MS QUO VADIS will be awaitng you. Subject to interest und sufficient interest, a beer tasting session will be held on board (surcharge).
Whilst the barge is sailing along the Willebroek canal, you will complete your last cycle ride through the rolling green countryside via Mechelen to Vilvoorde. A remarkable thing about Mechelen is that there are over 300 listed buildings. 8 of these are churches within less then 3 square kilometres. From Vilvoorde you will sail with the barge to Brussels. Make sure you go for a walk through the historical city centre, along the gothic town hall, the beautiful guild houses on the Grote Markt and the “Männeken Pis”.
After breakfast, it is time to disembark. Journey home as arranged by you.
A tour for 'fair-weather cyclists' - this tour is suitable for everyone with an average level of fitness. The route mainly goes along tarmac bike paths, agricultural roads but also along field and forest paths. There are short sections that go along busier and faster roads. The route is mainly flat but there are hills sometimes.
Guided and self-guided bike tours: The guided tours are finalised by your guide depending on the ability of the group. Those on self-guided tours get route books, which they can collect from the boat upon arrival. You will cycle approx. 40 - 60km each day. All of the mentioned distances are approximations of the recommended routes.
- Program according to itinerary on the MS Quo Vadis
- 7 nights stay in an outer cabin with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast, small lunch or packed lunch for your bike tours, coffee and tea in the afternoon, three-course dinner
- Welcome drink
- Daily cleaning of cabins
- Linen and change of towels if required
- All harbour, bridge and lock fees
- Daily bike tour briefing
- Local tour guide on guided bike tours; self-guided trips with route book (available on board)
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Bruges train station (Stationsplein) is about 900m from the pier
- Brussels Gare du Nord train station is about 5 km away from the pier
- Car park in Bruges e.g. at the train station (Stationsplein) for about €4 per day, no reservation possible.
- Car park in Brussels at train station Gare du Nord, about €12 per day, no reservation possible.
- Return journey by train about €18 per person.
Number of participants
- Minimum of 20 people
- Program and details are subject to change due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a free cancellation).
- EU citizens need a valid passport or an ID-Card.
- Special wishes concerning meals as dietary or vegetarian food can be provided upon request and for a surcharge. Maybe you have to bring some of the products on your own. This has to be ordered at least 14 days before arrival.
- You should definitely bring good rain clothes (coat and trousers), a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and trainers with you.
This tour has 1 more variation
MS Quo Vadis
With the MS Quo Vadis on a combined bike and boat journey through Netherlands and Belgium. Have a pleasant stay on board and enjoy the varied cycling routes.