Brügge - Amsterdam, MS Fluvius
Holland meets Belgium by bike & boat, MS Fluvius
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
Arrival in Bruges
Arrival organised by you to Bruges. Embark from 4pm. The wonderful town of Bruges is referred to as the loveliest Flemmish town. Its medieval old town was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000. Explore the large market square, the town hall, the cloth hall, the belfried and the béguinage. You will stay in Bruges overnight.
Today you start the day travelling by boat. The barge leaves Bruges early in the morning. Just outside, your first bike tour to Ghent will begin. You will go through the flat land of West-Flanders. Today's destination is the historical centre of Ghent. Enjoy the beautiful parts of Ghent whilst taking an afternoon stroll. The barge is docked in Merelbeke (a small suburb of Ghent).
Today the barge will sail along the river Schelde to Dendermonde, a nice town on the conjunction of the rivers Dender and Schelde. Where the boat moors and your bike tour starts will depend on the tides. Once you arrive in Dendermonde you should definitely visit the medieval market place and the Sint-Alexius Beguinage (1228). Surrounding the central area are 61 houses and a chapel. Those who would like to can enjoy the evening doing a beer tasting sesion. You will stay overnight after a short boat ride in St Amands.
Today we will follow the Schelde further downstream via Temse to Antwerp. There is a beautiful cycle path along the river and the scenery is magnificent. Antwerp, a harbour city, has a beautiful inner city and is well known as the 'diamond city. It is also the city where the famous painter Rubens was born.
The barge will cruise along the Schelde-Rhine Canal, over the huge Kreekrak locks to Tholen, which is a former fishing village amidst the large streams of the province of Zeeland. From Tholen you will cycle along the impressively large Volkerak locks to the fortified town of Willemstad,. You then continue to Dordrecht, one of the oldest cities of the Netherlands. Today, the skipper will discuss with you which part of the tour you shall cycle due to the tides.
oday you will start your tour with the “Waterbus” (not included, approx. € 4,- per person), a fast ferry that will take you and your bike in just 10 minutes to Alblasserdam. After just a few minutes of cycling you will reach Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 UNESCO cultural heritage-listed windmills – one of which you can visit (don’t forget your camera!). The windmills were constructed in the 18th century to pump water out of the low Alblasserwaard polder (a polder is a low-lying tract of land enclosed by embankments). You will then continue cycling via Schoonhoven to Vianen, a small fortified town on the river Lek where you will spend the evening. Since the 17th century Schoonhoven – nicknamed Silver City – has been renowned for its talented silversmiths.
First the ship cruises to Breukelen, where you disembark and your cycling tour starts. Cycle along the small river Vecht via the small villages of Nieuwersluis, Loenen and Vreeland to Nigtevecht, where you can visit a traditional cheese dairy. Continue cycling through the historical town of Muiden and on to Amsterdam where you will rejoin the barge for the final time in the Amsterdam harbor.
After breakfast the tour comes to an end. You shall need to disembark before 10 am.
Flat routes through Holland and Belgium along bike paths.
Self-guided or guided cycle trips: The guided bike tours are finalised depending on the group members and ability by the tour guide. For those doing a self-guided bike tour, you will get your route book when your board the boat. Each day you will cycle between 40 and 60km. All of the distances are approximations from the recommended bike tours.
|May 12, 2018
|May 26, 2018
|Jun 9, 2018
|Jun 23, 2018
|Jul 7, 2018
|Jul 21, 2018
|Aug 4, 2018
|Aug 18, 2018
|Sep 1, 2018
|Sep 15, 2018
- 7 nights stay in an outer cabin with shower and toilet in the booked category
- Program according to itinerary from Bruges to Amsterdam
- Welcome drink
- Full board (7 x breakfast, 6 x packed lunch during bike tours or light lunch on board, 7 x three course dinner)
- Bed linen and towels (daily change of towels possible); daily quick clean of the cabin
- Daily bike tour briefing
- Printed instructions and detailed maps for daily bike tours (to be found on board)
- Daily coffee and tea between 3 and 4.
Transfers to/from the docking places in Amsterdam and Bruges; rental bicycle, other transfers, parking fee, entrance fees & excursions, fees for ferries, drinks on board, personal insurances, gratuities (at your discretion).
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Amsterdam train station is close to the pier
- Bruges trains station (Stationsplein) is about 3 km from the pier
- Amsterdam Oosterdok car park: secure car park at the train station costs about € 70 to € 80 per week (www.parkingcentrumoosterdok.nl)
- Car park Amsterpark.nl / Valet Parking Services: Drop off your car at the pier on day of arrival, car will be back on the pier on the day of departure. It costs € 140 per week (application form in the travel documents)
- Car park in Bruges e.g. at the train station for about €4 per day. No reservation possible.
- Return journey by train about € 45 per person.
- Program and itinerary are subject to change due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a free cancellation).
- EU citizens need a valid passport or an ID card (if applicable).
- Special wishes concerning meals as dietary or vegetarian food can be provided upon request and for a surcharge. Maybe you have to bring some of the products on your own. This has to be ordered at least 14 days before arrival.
- You should definitely bring good rain clothing (coat and trousers), a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
Number of participants
- Minimum of 24 people
This tour has 1 more variant
Bike & Barge MS Fluvius
With MS Fluvius through the most beautiful cities of Holland and Flanders. Highlights are Amsterdam, Antwerp, Gent and Bruges.