Embarkation and check-in where the crew will welcome you on board is at 1 PM. At around 2 PM the MS Magnifique II will depart from Amsterdam for Vianen, a small fortified village on the Lek River. After the distribution of bicycles, you can enjoy a short first test bike ride through the surrounding area.
After breakfast you will cycle a beautiful route to Schoonhoven – nicknamed Zilverstad (Silver City) – a city renowned for its talented silver smiths since the 17th century. As you continue to cycle along the Lek River you will pass through the Alblasserwaard region to Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 large windmills – one of which you can visit – which have a UNESCO cultural heritage listing. From nearby Alblasserdam you will take the “Waterbus” (not included approx. € 4,- per person), a fast ferry, that will take and your bike you in approx. 10 minutes to Dordrecht, one of the oldest towns in Holland.
As you enjoy your breakfast, the MS Magnifique II will sail to Willemstadt where you will start your day’s cycling.
Attractions today include the beautiful “Wouwse Plantage” forest, the fortress town of Bergen op Zoom and the
impressive Kreekrak lock. In the afternoon you will once again board the MS Magnifique II which will sail to the port
city of Antwerp which is situated on the river Schelde. Antwerp is famous for handling up to 80% of the world's
rough diamonds and is a city with a long list of attractions including: the City Hall, one of several majestic buildings
constructed during the Renaissance period, the historical City Square Grote Market, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe
Cathedral and the medieval Steen Castle. After dinner visit the beautiful old city centre.
This morning you will cycle out of Antwerp along a picturesque section of the Schelde River to either St. Amands or Dendermonde – depending on the tides - your home for the night. There is only one way to describe the landscape around the Schelde and that is “magnificent”. It is without doubt one of the natural highlights of the tour.
Today you will continue to follow the river Schelde to Ghent where the MS Magnifique II will moor for the night at a lock in the suburb of Merelbeke. Ghent is a lively university city that boasts a rich history. Since Roman times Ghent’s position at the junction of Leie and Schelde Rivers has ensured that it has been a successful trading port. In total the city features an Opera House, 18 museums, more than 100 churches and over 400 historical buildings. Major attractions are St. Bavo Cathedral where a number of masterpieces of medieval art including the world famous ‘Adoration of the Mystic Lamb’ by Jan van Eyck are kept and the 91-metre-tall belfry of Ghent, one of three medieval towers that overlook the old city centre.
Today you will cycle through the beautiful Flemish countryside of western Flanders to Bruges, widely described as the ‘Venice of the North’ and arguably the most beautiful of all the Flemish cities. Bruges attracts more than two million visitors every year who come to see the picturesque medieval town centre of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed historic city and a long list of historic attractions. An outstanding example of a medieval historic settlement, Bruges has managed to maintain its historic fabric as it has evolved over the centuries, with the result that today the city’s original Gothic buildings form an integral part of the town's identity. While you are here you can visit one of Bruges many museums or simply take in the stunning beauty of this unforgettable city from the comfort of a sidewalk café. Dinner tonight will be in town in a restaurant of your choice (recommendations available on board).
Your final day of cycling takes you along a quiet canal and past beautiful poplar trees through an attractive polder landscape (a polder is a low-lying tract of land enclosed by embankments) dotted with small farm houses to the North Sea coast. Here if you want you can swim in the sea along an inviting sandy beach and visit any one of numerous cafés. On the return ride to Bruges you will cycle along a small picturesque canal.
After breakfast: end of the tour and disembarkation till 10:00 AM
Through Holland and Belgium always flat along bike paths.
Cycle trips with a guide or self-guided: Those tours will be adjusted individually with the tour guide, depending on the group and their potential. There is a daily briefing in the evening for the next day. The ones who will make the trip self-guided can use the route books which are provide on board (books only gettable on board). You will cycle about 40 and 60 km per day.
- Program as mentioned in the tour course
- 7 nights in cabins with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast, small lung or lunch package for your bike tours, coffee and tea in the afternoon, 6x three-course dinner (in Antwerpen on your own)
- Welcome drink
- Daily cleaning of cabins
- Linen and change of towels if required
- All harbour, bridge and lock fees
- Daily bike tour briefing
- 2 local tour guidance (multilingual) and guided bike tours, self-guided trips with route book (available on board) are possible
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Train station Amsterdam close to the pier
- Train station Bruges (Stationsplein) about 3 km from the pier
- Car park Amsterdam Oosterdok: guarded car park at the train station, about € 15/day (www.parkingcentrumoosterdok.nl)
- Car park Amsterpark.nl / Valet Parking Services: Pick up of your car at the pier on day of arrival, car will be back at the pier on day of departure, price € 150,- per week (application form in the travel documents
- Return tourney by train about € 55,- per person.
- Program and details are subject to changes due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a gratis cancellation).
- EU citizens need a valid passport or an ID-Card.
- Special wishes concerning meals as dietary or vegetarian food can be provided upon request and against surcharge. Maybe you have to bring some of the products on your own. This has to be ordered at least 14 days before arrival.
- You should definitely bring good rain clothing (jacket and trouser), a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
Number of participants
- Minimum of 24 people
This tour has 2 more variations
MS Magnifique II
During this tour by bike & barge with the MS Magnifique II you can enjoy the most beautiful art cities of Flanders: Brussels, Mechelen, Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges are wonderful and interesting historical cities.