Amsterdam - Brügge, MS Fluvius
From Holland to Belgium by bike & boat, MS Fluvius
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
Embarkation and Check-in where the crew will welcome you on board is at 1 p.m. At around 2 p.m. the ship will leave Amsterdam and sail to Vianen, a small fortified town on the river Lek, where you will spend the night. Here the bicycles will be distributed and you can enjoy a short bicycle ride.
Today you will cycle along a beautiful route to Schoonhoven – nicknamed Zilverstad (“Silver Cityer City”) – a city renowned for its talented silver smiths since the 17th century. Later in the day as you cycle through the Alblasserwaard region you will reach Kinderdijk, a village famous for its impressive row of 19 large windmills. All 19 windmills have a UNESCO cultural heritage listing and are a definite highlight. From nearby Alblasserdam you will take the “Waterbus”, a fast ferry, that will take you and your bicycle in approx. 10 minutes to Dordrecht, one of the oldest towns in Holland.
During breakfast the Fluvius will sail to Tholen where you will start your day´s cycling by visiting the "Wouwse Plantage" forest. Another attraction on the say is the impressive Kreekrak lock. Afer once again meeting up with the Fluvius you will finish your day by sailing to the port city of Antwerp which is situated on the river Schelde. Antwerp is famous for handling up to 80% of the world´s rough diamonds and has many attractions that include: the City Hall, one of several majestic buildings constructed during the Renaissance period, the historical City Square Grote Market, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe Cathedral and the medieval Steen Castle. After dinner visit the beautiful old city centre.
Today´s tour will see you cycle out of Antwerp on a beautiful cycle path along the picturesque tidal Schelde River to Dendermonde, your home for the night. There is only one way to describe the landscape around the Schelde and that is "magnificent". It is withour doubt one of the natural highlights of the tour.
Today you will continue to follow the river Schelde to Ghent where the ship will moor for the night at a lock in a suburb of town. Ghent is a liverly university city that boasts a rich history. The city´s position at the junction of Leie and Schelde Rivers has meant it to be a major trading port since Roman times. In total the city features an Opera House, 18 museums, more than 100 churches and over 400 historical buildings. A major attraction is St. Bavo Cathedral where a number of masterpieces of medieval art including the world famous "Adoration of the Mystic Lamb" by Jan van Eyck are kept.
Your bicycle tour will lead through the beautiful Flemish countryside of western Flanders around this beautiful city, widely described as the "Venice of the North". The city attracts more than two million visitors every year who come for the ambience of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed historic centre. An outstanding example of a medieval settlement, Bruges has managed to maintain its historic fabric as it has evolved over the centuries, with the result that today the city´s original Gothic constructions form an integral part of the town´s identidy. While you are here you can visit one of Bruges many museums or simply take in the stunning beauty and culture of this unforgettable city from the comfort of a sidewalk café.
Your final day of cycling takes you along a quiet canal and past beautiful poplar trees through an attractive polder landscape dotted with small farm houses to the North Sea coast. Here if you want you can swim in the sea along an inviting sandy beach, visit any one of mumerous cafés and see the attractive dune landscape. On the return ride to Bruges you will cycle along a small picturesque canal.
End of your tour: Disembarkation after breakfast until 9:30 a. m.
Flat routes through Holland and Belgium along bike paths.
Self-guided or guided cycle trips: The guided bike tours are finalised depending on the group members and ability by the tour guide. For those doing a self-guided bike tour, you will get your route book when your board the boat. Each day you will cycle between 40 and 60km. All of the distances are approximations from the recommended bike tours.
- 7 nights tour and accommodation on board of MS Fluvius in the booked category
- Program according to the routing
- Welcome drink
- Full board (7 x breakfast, 6 x picnic lunch during bike tours, 6x coffee and tea in the afternoon till 4 PM,
- 7 x 3 course dinner)
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Use of linen and towels
- Daily briefing on the respective bike tours
- Tour guide for guided bike tours (for 18 persons or more two tour guides)
- All charges for harbours, bridges and locks
- Printed instructions and detailed maps for daily bike tours (deposited on board, 1 per cabin)
- Fees for ferries
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Central railway station Amsterdam near landing stage.
- For example: Parking Oosterdok www.parkingcentrumoosterdok.nl/english, economy fare approx. € 20.-/24 h. No reservation possible.
- Return transfer by train from Bruges to Amsterdam approx. 40 € per person.
- Program and itinerary are subject to change due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a free cancellation).
- EU citizens need a valid passport or ID card (where applicable)
- Dietary requirements or vegetarian food can be catered for upon request and for a surcharge. You might need to bring some products yourself. You must let us know at least 14 days before the tour starts.
- You should definitely bring good rain clothing (jacket and trouser), a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
Number of participants
- Minimum of 24 people 21 days before arrival
This tour has 1 more variation
With MS Fluvius through the most beautiful cities of Holland and Flanders. Highlights are Amsterdam, Antwerp, Gent and Bruges.